Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Made for Blogging

You know, its the little things that I miss about being happily employed. I figured I would miss the pay, but it turns out I miss the social aspect of it more. See, its been a close to a year of staying home, looking for jobs, training the dog, cleaning house...just staying busy. And its driving me insane. Not so much because I hate looking for jobs or cleaning my house - I do - but I miss the camaraderie and watercooler BS sessions that constant employment allows. And not having those sessions means that I am missing out on very crucial aspects of my happiness: complaining about stuff to actual PEOPLE and not my dog. You wouldn’t think so at first, but getting true feedback above a tilted head and perked ears is pretty exciting stuff - just one more thing that sucks about being unemployed.

Anyhow, last night I happened to catch just enough of a wonderfully terrible made-for-TV’er. Seriously. Sets the bar for tacky writing and dismal special effects. The movie in question: “10.5.” I only caught a few minutes, but believe me, it was plenty. From what I can tell, a giant earthquake with a magnitude of, oh I don’t know, let’s just say…10.5? Yeah, 10.5 sounds good – rocks the West Coast and subsequently ‘falls’ into the Pacific Ocean. Which sucks because it’s really freakin’ cold. Living in Portland, Oregon means that I, too, would die a horribly liquid death. Oh well, what can you do, right?

Well, according to the writers of “10.5,” you dig some deep holes in strategic places in California and throw some nuclear war heads in there and blow ‘em up. Now, if it weren’t for the show’s President’s overwhelming calm persona, I would be skeptical, but he didn’t seem worried, so why should I? Plus, the ‘other’ guy from “Tremors” was in it. You know, the ‘I’m not Kevin Bacon’ actor with the goatee? Yeah…that guy. You know you are working with a quality cast when that guy shows up.

Anyhow, I am sure the warheads are exploded and some unexpected thing happens and chintzy special effects ensue, but by that time I was in bed reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home